Anyone that knows us will tell you we like to save money! We shop sales, usually at Sams and Harris Teeter, stocking up on our regular items whenever they’re on sale. Here’s our grocery list – regular items we always (usually) have on hand:
– Spinach, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Asparagus, Green Pepper, Onion, Salad mix, Tomatoes
– Green Beans, Broccoli, Mixed Vegetables
-Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Butter, Trail Mix, Almonds
– Eggs, Milk, Yogurt (Activia), Cheese (a variety of whatever was on sale that week)
– Apples (Honey Crisp are our favorites), Bananas, Raspberries, Strawberries, Oranges, Watermelon
– Strawberries, Blueberries, Berry Mix, Peaches
– Garlic, Black Pepper, Cajun, Taco, Italian, Kosher salt, Onion
– Salad dressings, Salsa, Tomato paste
Other items we buy as needed for specific recipes or if we want something different.
- We rarely eat out. If there is a specific meal we like, we learn how to cook it at home and healthy.
- We exercise portion control. We were amazed how long a pack of shredded cheese lasted when we didn’t put 1/2 of it on our meatball subs!
It really comes down to making choices. $5 can be spent on a big bag of lettuce blend or a box of cereal. It’s still $5 but one will have much greater short and long term benefits.